The Universe Multicultural Film Festival seeks to bring to the best of classic and contemporary filmmaking from the world; Committed to enlightening the public with a unique international film program, a forum for cultural understanding and enriching educational opportunities. The Festival focuses on showcasing diverse cultural and heritages films, supports the creation and advancement of innovative and artistic cinematic works of both emerging and seasoned filmmakers and proudly embraces the passion, independent spirit and vision of these talented artists. With the integration of the local community and educational institutions into all aspects of the Festival, the Festival stimulates an interest in the study and appreciation of film and encourages people of all ages and background to participate and share the harmony universe.
SCREENPLAY ENTRY GUIDELINES:
1. Submissions must be the original work of the applicant. Entries may be adapted from the applicant's own work
2. All screenplay entries must include a completed entry form, the correct entry fee; the screenplay in in one of the following formats: .PDF (preferred), Microsoft Word, or Text. (Your name should NOT appear anywhere on the screenplay as it is mandatory that adjudication is conducted without knowledge of the writer's name or identity); a character description and a 50-word synopsis that in PDF/Doc/text. Incomplete forms may cause delays.
3. Screenplays that are currently optioned or sold are not eligible for competition. Judges who work for the UMFF are not eligible to enter the competition, nor are their affiliates or immediate family members.
4. Feature length screenplays must be no longer than 120 pages and short screenplays should be no more than 45 pages. All screenplay entries must be written in English. Any revisions after the entry has been entered are not accepted. Screenplays must be in 11 pt courier font, no promotional materials or illustrations are accepted, pages must be numbered,
5. It is the responsibility of the screenwriter to insure that their work is protected (US Copyright Office, The Writers Guild of America or Screenwriters Federation of America). International entries should protect their work with similar organizations within their respective country.
6. Entries will not be returned. Be sure to retain a copy of all material submitted.
2017 Universe Multicultural Film Festival Entry Deadlines & Fees
Extended Deadline: Feb.10, 2017; Feature: $100; Short: $80; TV:$80
Youth Film Showcase (18 & under): $10(Early); $20( Regular); $30(Extend)
Music Video: $10(Early);$20(Regular);$30(Extend)
Student (w/ valid college ID): $10 discount
FILM ENTRY GUIDELINES
1. Competition is open to films that abide by the Universe Multicultural Film Festival (UMFF) Vision Statement:
2. All film entries must be in English, or dubbed or subtitled in English.
3. All film entries must have been completed after September 2014 to be eligible for the 2017 competition. Other films may be screened "for presentation only."
Student Films are produced by students who have attended an accredited or Certified professional film school at a collegiate, university or certificate presenting institution or school.
4. The producers of all Finally Selections screened by UMFF may use the opportunity for marketing their films to domestic and international distributors.
Promotional guidelines are available from UMFF. After every screening, the producers/cast members are invited to a Q& A session with the attending audience.
5. Submission package: All film entries must include 3 screening DVD's (NTSC only), the entry fee, and a CD with the following items: (1) completed entry form, (2) up to a 50 word synopsis, (3) proof of ownership (WGA or copyright), (4) Director's resume, and (5) resumes of principals. The Press Kit (including production stills and poster) is for UMFF display during the festival. It will be requested upon "Final l Selection" notification to the film's producer. Incomplete forms may cause delays.
6. Submission material will not be returned.
7. All 2017 film & screenplay entrants grant the UMFF , the right to copy part of theirproduction/project for judging, exhibition, broadcast, website, for UMFF promotional purposes.
8. No film may be withdrawn from competition after Feb.10, 2017. All entry fees are non-refundable.
9. UMFFF reserves the right to adjust the film schedule. Dates and times of film screenings at the venues are made at the sole discretion of the UMFF. All seats are general admission and show times may change without notice. UMFF shall be held harmless for any delays due to equipment failure or shipping delays and/or if the condition of the DVDs/disks/prints delivered prevents the screening.
10. The UMFF 2017 Final Selections producer(s) will be notified by email , and will be listed on the UMFF website by March 1, 2017 or soon after.
11. Each film entry will be screened by the pre-screening committee and rated. Final jury decisions will be determined by a jury of industry professionals. All decisions are final.
SHIPMENT OF Submission Package
The package to be projected at the UMFF shall be mailed or delivered to the UMFF, P.O.Box 4781; Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA 90274 and shall be postmarked no later than March 10, 2017.Each person entering a film is responsible for the insurance and shipment to the UMFF
IMPORT FILM DECLARATIONS
All foreign DVD entries are to be marked "Free entry claimed under #724.12 (960.60) U.S. Tariff Act, to be returned after the UMFF is completed. No commercial value."